Friday, September 2, 2011

Hello, World. I've Missed You.

I’ve been a horrible blogger lately. And by horrible I mean non-existent, not that my stuff is horrible…because let’s all face it - my stuff is way awesome.
It’s just that I’ve been a funk, and frankly, there has been so much going on the last several weeks that I haven’t been able to concentrate on any one thing at a time.
The first week of August we went to Europe for a eight days. I’d wanted to blog about that but haven’t. Maybe I still will. I probably will. There’s so much to tell but I’m afraid you wouldn’t believe have of what I tell you. It was an adventure.
And it’s not like there hasn’t been enough material at home to hit you with. I mean, I could have told you about the afternoon when Traci and I were in our bedroom having a serious conversation about something that probably wasn’t really that serious to begin with and Kacie comes barging in.
“Don’t you think you should knock?” I asked. “What if your mom and I were procreating in here?”
I was taking a shot in the dark that she wouldn’t know what the word meant.
“Then I probably would have heard a bunch of weird noises and wouldn’t have come in,” she responded.
Or there’s the night Brady and I were having a guy’s night in while the girls were out school shopping. We had both TVs in the living room fired up – one with Big Brother and the other the Rangers game. You all know how Brady feels about baseball, but the kid has totally got a thing for Big Jeff on BB13.
Anyway he’s lying on the floor, head propped up on his hands, in a television induced trance.
“Brady,” I said, “you okay?” I didn’t want his mom coming home and thinking I’d broken him.
“Yep. I’m watching Big Brudder and the Rangers.”
“At the same time?”
“I have two eyes, Daddy. One for each TV.”
Like I said, it’s been anything but dull around our place. And still I haven’t been able to write.
Maybe I’ve just lacked focus. Perhaps I’ve put so much pressure on myself to be consistently good each and every time out that I lose sight of the bigger picture which is that I don’t have to always be perfect but that sometimes something is better than nothing.
That rationale is really hard for me to get behind though. I’m kind of an all or nothing sort of guy, so to put something down on paper simply to be able to say that I’ve “written” and call it a day doesn’t work. But that’s probably why I start so many things and rarely finish anything. It’s the story of my life, really.
And now, as the fall semester has just gotten under way, I’ve begun to snap out of my funk thanks to some unintentional inspiration and in doing so have started the process of writing a new screenplay. That’s right – I don’t have nearly enough busywork on my plate so I’ve undertaken the task of developing characters, plotting out, and writing roughly 90-120 pages of script that will most likely never see the light of day or beread by anyone other than my mom.
It’s been a while since I’ve sat down and seriously tried to hunt and peck one out, but I really think this idea has promise – whatever that means in the land of wannabe screenwriting. I should probably hire someone more qualified than me to write it. Man do I miss the greatness that was John Hughes. That guy could write the crap out of anything.
But lucky for you, my faithful readers, I’m back after a much needed hiatus. I won’t claim to be better than ever. I’m not even going to boast of being better period. And no, I’m not wearing black. If you follow my Facebook page or Twitter (@herlvngroomhero) feed you know the randomness that is my mind has been hard at work lately which means you’re in for a treat.
So tell your family. Tell your friends. Tell your enemies. Her Living Room Hero has re-opened for business and is ready to start serving up a nice helping of way awesome stuff.


No comments:

Post a Comment