Thursday, May 19, 2011

Teen of My Heart

My daughter has betrayed me. Again.

Today, without first asking for my permission, Kacie has entered the world of teenagerdom – or teenager dumb. Either or. And both, really.

This is where, for the next six years, she’s made the commitment to make my life hell. By enlisting in the not-so-clandestine organization T.E.E.N. she’s accepted a seven year mission to push limits to the extreme and force her mother and me to create new limits where there once were none.

I know nothing about raising a teenage girl. I was barely coping with being a parent in general, when I just had “kids.” It was okay before because I knew what it was like to be a kid – mainly because I still am one. I was finally getting it down. Coming into my own.

But this is different.

I don’t speak Period or Feminine Hygiene Product or ­­­Miniskirts & High Heels. I don’t know what it’s like to have your heart broken by some boy who’s decided just eighteen hours after the world’s longest makeout session at a party you didn’t even have permission to be at in the first place that he likes your best friend better than he does you.

I can’t ask my mom for advice. Yes, she raised five kids (three of which were girls), but she’d be zero help. Her only response would be: “Remember when I told you this day would come? Well, it’s here and I’m not even going to pretend to feel sorry for you.”

Surely there’s a support group out there to help walk me through this. Like a Craigslist for dads. Maybe Dadslist? Mydaughterbrokemyheart.com? Suckstobeme.org?

When I looked at her this morning it was like a stranger was staring back at me, smiling, waiting for me to make the first move even though she’d already made it. All I could do was kiss her on the head and tell her to have a good day and then quickly bail before the floodgates opened and my mascara started to smear.

But at some point in the next few hours I have to go home and face her. No matter how hard I may try to pretend today like nothing’s changed, everything’s changed. I’ll learn to be okay with it. Eventually. Just not today.

Kacie – I love you. You’re more than anything I could have hoped for and better than anything I’ll ever deserve. But you’re grounded.

3 comments:

  1. My dear Kacie:

    I can still remember the day your parents told me I was going to be a grandmother. My first thought was “Excuse me? A grrrandmother? I think not!” After all, I was too young to be a grandmother! It didn’t take long for me to change my mind. I was thrilled to be a grandmother. I was not, however, going to be called “Grandma”. After you were born, I was given the name “Grams” which evolved into “Grammy”, a name I cherish very much.

    Your dad was my first child, my first son, my first in many experiences as a parent. He was my first to become a teenager and then an adult. You are my first grandchild - his first child, his first teenager. The transformation from childhood to adulthood can be difficult and sometimes painful. You have a wonderful (and beautiful!) head on your shoulders and equally wonderful parents to help you through the journey. Learn from the mistakes and cherish the memories. On occasion, give your dad a little grief. When he starts to correct you, wink at him and say, “That one’s for Grammy!”

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dad, you really need waterproof mascara.

    Love, your daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. so glad u blogged about this...I was thinking about u guys and wondering how the teenage thing was hitting.....really strange that u have a teen....I was feeling sorry for myself that I have an 8 yr old that sometimes Acts like a teen!!!

    suckstobeme.org!!!! U did it again, I laughed out loud!!!

    ReplyDelete